List:       kde-devel
Subject:    reconnection on mobile KDE.
From:       "Digital Infra, Inc." <okajima () digitalinfra ! co ! jp>
Date:       2004-05-30 14:42:30

Hello Developers.

we are developing coLinux, which is an emulator to run Linux on Win32.
and in our ML, we have discussed which graphics driver is suitable for coLinux.
the thread is like "Linux FB? VNC? Cygwin/X?" or such.
Basically, Cygwin is at least an orthodox solution.
but it has several drawbacks too.
and one of them is it lacks "reconnection feature".
I mean, for example, when Cygwin/X crashes,  I can not reconnect Linux VM anymore.
it is in vain that even I execute Cygwin/X again. it can not reconnect.
this problem is very serious if you are doing remote computing.

I heard that KDE team has interest on remote computing solution.
you have a plan to use http://www.nomachine.com/ , right?
then, I want to know that how you handle a reconnection problem.
solving this must be an inevitable issue for KDE in mobile/remote computing.

I have one idea. I think if KDE(or any WM) broadcasts "repaint window message" to
all process when X server reconnects, it can be solved. dont you?
and I think this way can be implemented easier in WM layer than Xlib layer.
this is the reason I post this message to KDE ML, not X ML.

I have two questions -

  1.  how you will solve this problem?
  2.  what you think about my solution?

BTW, I dont know here is proper place to discuss this issue,
so if wrong, tell me a better place.

Thanks in advance.

         Okajima, Jun. Digital Infra, Inc. Tokyo, Japan.
         coLinux development team   http://www.colinux.org/