List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: where's --nofork gone?
From:       Bernd Pol <bernd.pol () online ! de>
Date:       2004-05-05 21:30:57

Hi all,

Am Mittwoch, 5. Mai 2004 22:32 schrieb Joachim Eibl:
> On Wednesday 05 May 2004 18:27, Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> > Oh, then I have to look again. I set a breakpoint in
> > Konsole::Konsole that was never reached, because konsole was
> > reportedly forked and the watched process had ended. Hmm ...
>
> I think you've discouvered a GDB-bug. Breakpoints in constructors
> won't work.

When I stumbled across this behaviour a year or so ago, I worked out a
little trick which in many cases helped:

- set a breakpoint at the command which will call up the constructor in
question
- singlestep into the constructor
- if needed, issue a run again, it will then stop at the in-constructor
breakpoint

Conceptually this gdb behaviour might be caused by the fact that the
constructor object does not yet exist when the breakpoint should be
set. Explicitely stepping inside causes the object to be created
whereupon gdb knows where to go on again.

If anyone knows better, please tell us about. I am still curious.

Have a nice day,
Bernd
--
Never trust a running program, but always worship its makers.