List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: DANGER Fedora
From:       "Steven P. Ulrick" <ulrick2 () faith4miracle ! org>
Date:       2004-05-01 14:10:18

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 17:02:11 -0500
"Steven P. Ulrick" <ulrick2@faith4miracle.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:03:08 -0300
> Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira@kdemail.net> wrote:
>

> > Now, the question is: where? I -- and most other people here in this
> >
> > list -- don't have Fedora systems to try and build KDE. If you have
> > it, please tell us the errors so that we may solve them.
>
> Hello, Everyone :)
> Well, it looks like I'm the man :)  I am running Fedora Core 1, and I
> have been a happy KDE user for almost as long as we've owned a
> computer(February of 2001)  I have discovered that the problems that I
> thought I was having with KDE were really not KDE prblems, but
> problems that crept in because of what the packagers felt the need to
> do to KDE.  In my case, that woould be Red Hat, and now the Fedora
> project. I am currently running QT 3.3.1 from TrollTech's official
> source tarball, and I am running KDE from CVS HEAD.  I have had
> extremely minimal issues with compiling KDE from CVS HEAD, and
> extremely few issues with KDE once I get it compiled and installed.
> Until recently.....  Very recently, like a few days ago, I started to
> have issues with some KDE CVS modules demanding one version of
> autconf, and other modules demanding another version.  But I digress.
> In a desire to help all of us perfect (bring to maturity :)) KDE, I am
> going to begin compiling updates from CVS HEAD, and if I get any
> errors, I will report them to this list on a module by module basis.
> I will build in the order that KDE says it should be built in:
> arts
> kdelibs
> kdebase
> "everything else"
> kdeaddons
>
> I will post the following information on a website so you can look at
> it at your convenience.  I will include a link to it in any email that
> I send you relating to compiling, installing and running KDE from CVS
> HEAD.
>
> Operating System: Fedora Core 1, full installation (not an upgrade),
> most recent official Fedora Core 1 kernel and all offical updates are
> installed, and kept up to date on a very frequent basis.  Also, when I
> install(ed), I always install every package (about 1400 or so)
>
> QT: Official 3.3.1 source tarball from TrollTech
> KDE: CVS HEAD
> Also, I am currently using "unsermake" to build KDE.  This has
> eliminated my aforementioned issue with autoconf.
> Also, our installation of KDE is in it's own directory.  I did not
> overwrite the RPM's with CVS HEAD (been there, done that)
>
> If there is any more information that you need, let me know, and I
> will add it to the file that I referred to earlier.
>
> In closing, it is my pleasure to do what I can to help all of us
> improve KDE :)
>
> Steven P. Ulrick

Hello, Everyone :)
This message has a two-fold purpose:
1. Before I comment further on anything relating to this topic, I'm
going to re-read the entire thread, and any other relevant threads that
may be mentioned while I read this one.
2. In the interest of the greater amount of people who might be trying
to install KDE from source on Fedora Core 1, I tried to install KDE
3.2.2 on our system.  It compiled without error, or disaster of any
kind.  Translated into english: the compilation and installation went
perfectly, and if I wanted to use KDE 3.2.2 instead of KDE from CVS
HEAD, I have fully functional (except for some missing icons)
installation of KDE 3.2.2.

Anyway, I'm going to re-read this thread, and get back to you whenever
it seems appropriate :)

Steven P. Ulrick