List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: minitools -- what is it?
From:       Franck =?iso-8859-1?b?UXXpbGFpbg==?= <shift () free ! fr>
Date:       2004-04-27 13:22:53

Selon Melchior FRANZ <mfranz@kde.org>:

> I wonder since quite a while what this "Tools/Minitools" entry in konqueror
> is supposed to be (other than the most annoying KDE "feature").
>
> Moving the mouse over it pops up a menu that is bigger than the screen (with
> no possibility to reach the entries outside) containing *all* bookmarks.
> Clicking on such a bookmark entry doesn't do *anything*.
>
> I never activate this "minitool" intentionally, but it always annoys me as
> hell and requires me to click it away and open the menu once again if I
> accidently activated it. I try then to move the mouse over it quickly so
> as to avoid its invocation.
>
> The source code (kdeaddons/konq-plugins/minitools) doesn't tell what it's
> about, either. Does it serve any purpose? I'll ban it from my source now ...
>
> m.

Hi,

Minitools are what other browsers call favelets or bookmarklets.
http://bookmarklets.com/ and http://tantek.com/favelets/
These are only javascript URLs (javascript:...)

Konqueror doesn't allow you to execute javascript from the bookmarks menu so
this minitools button has been created.

The problems to my mine is that when you want to bookmark a javascript: URL, the
bookmark doesn't go in the minitools ones. It will be a good thing.

Franck