List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KLaptop: Add support for command before/after suspend/resume
From:       Paul Campbell <paul () taniwha ! com>
Date:       2004-03-22 23:46:35

On Sunday 21 March 2004 12:59 pm, Pieter Pareit wrote:
> Op zondag 21 maart 2004 20:52, schreef Tim Carr:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I made a dirty, dirty hack to have KLaptop run a configurable (from Power
> > Control config dialog) command before suspending, and after resuming.
> > It's basically showing what I wanted in this message here (KDE list):
> >
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=kde&m=107955864702607&w=2
>
> What you made is really great, but there might be a problem with the use.
> If your laptop needs to unload it's usb modules before suspend, then this
> functionality should be global, and not only for the current user.
> Currently it is indeed nice, but it only will work when you are the only
> user using that laptop and are logged in when suspending...
>
> Most distro's run some scripts just before suspend and just after suspend,
> with or without someone logged in.
>
> It would still be nice to have a control center module that could go into
> root/admin mode to configure this part of a system.

(I'm the klaptop maintainer ....)

and really this is the right thing to do - having the KDE laptop code do the
unloading/loading (or run scripts at this point etc etc) is almost certainly
the wrong thing for a number of reasons:

	- they will only happen when you are logged on (chances are you want them
		done at all times) - really the current daemon should do this - if
		viable power control daemons start to show up (there are a few starting
		to appear) I've planned on having the current system default to using an
		existing running daemon rather than the builtin one where possible

	- almost anything you want to have run at suspend/resume time probably
		needs to be done as root, not the user you are logged on as

	- what you want in BSD or solaris may be different from when you want in
		linux or OSX etc etc

Really KDE isn't the solution to all things much as we would like it to be -
what we can do is assume that maybe KDE wants to be the UI for configuring
those solutions - so a plugin or panel for configuring the linux power
control interface might be more appropriate (maybe editing those scripts).

In that vein YAST was just GPL'd  -can we pick it up as part of KDE? - it
solves many of these sorts of problems for Linux users (but again maybe not a
whole bunch of others)

	Paul