List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Apparently on your system our assumption sizeof size_t == sizeof
From:       Peter Uhrig <peter () uhrig ! net>
Date:       2004-02-21 21:19:31

Hi everyone!
I got the following weird message when I tried to install Quanta
(quanta.sourceforge.net) on my computer.

checking sizeof size_t == sizeof unsigned long... no
configure: error:
       Apparently on your system our assumption sizeof size_t == sizeof
unsigned long
       does not apply. Please mail kde-devel@kde.org with a description of
your system!

It's a Debian system which was installed from a Knoppix 3.3 (www.knopper.net)
CD-ROM.
I've tried a complete apt-get dist-upgrade, but it didn't solve the problem.
What else do you want to know about my machine?
Hardware:
Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A laptop computer
AMD Mobile Athlon XP 2000+
ATI IGP 320 Chipset

Hope somebody out there can tell me what is going wrong over here...
Thank you!

Greetings
Peter Uhrig

The complete output of the configure-script can be found below:

root@Amilix:/usr/bin/quanta-be-rel-01# ./configure
checking for -p flag to install... yes
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of gcc... gcc
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
checking whether g++ supports -Wmissing-format-attribute... yes
checking whether g++ supports -Wundef... yes
checking whether g++ supports -Wno-long-long... yes
checking whether g++ supports -Wnon-virtual-dtor... yes
checking whether g++ supports -fno-exceptions... yes
checking whether g++ supports -fno-check-new... yes
checking whether g++ supports -fno-common... yes
checking whether g++ supports -fexceptions... yes
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking whether g++ supports -O0... yes
checking whether g++ supports -Wl,--no-undefined... yes
checking whether g++ supports -Wl,--allow-shlib-undefined... yes
not using lib directory suffix
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for egrep... grep -E
checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking how to recognise dependent libraries... pass_all
checking for ANSI C header files... no
checking for sys/types.h... no
checking for sys/stat.h... no
checking for stdlib.h... no
checking for string.h... no
checking for memory.h... no
checking for strings.h... no
checking for inttypes.h... no
checking for stdint.h... no
checking for unistd.h... no
checking dlfcn.h usability... no
checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: dlfcn.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: dlfcn.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: dlfcn.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to bug-autoconf@gnu.org. ##
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for g77... no
checking for f77... no
checking for xlf... no
checking for frt... no
checking for pgf77... no
checking for fl32... no
checking for af77... no
checking for fort77... no
checking for f90... no
checking for xlf90... no
checking for pgf90... no
checking for epcf90... no
checking for f95... no
checking for fort... no
checking for xlf95... no
checking for lf95... no
checking for g95... no
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no
checking whether  accepts -g... no
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 32768
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from gcc object... failed
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for ar... ar
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking if gcc static flag  works... no
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... no
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... no
checking if we can lock with hard links... yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking for shl_load... no
checking for shl_load in -ldld... no
checking for dlopen... no
checking for dlopen in -ldl... no
checking for dlopen in -lsvld... no
checking for dld_link in -ldld... no
checking whether to build static libraries... no
configure: creating libtool
appending configuration tag "CXX" to libtool
checking for ld used by g++... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking for g++ option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if g++ PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool
checking for msgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/bin/msgfmt
checking for xgettext... /usr/bin/xgettext
checking if C++ programs can be compiled... yes
checking for strlcat... no
checking if strlcat needs custom prototype... yes - in libkdefakes
checking for strlcpy... no
checking if strlcpy needs custom prototype... yes - in libkdefakes
checking for main in -lutil... no
checking for main in -lcompat... no
checking for crypt in -lcrypt... no
checking for crypt in -lc... no
configure: WARNING: you have no crypt in either libcrypt or libc.
You should install libcrypt from another source or configure with PAM
support
checking for socklen_t... socklen_t
checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet... no
checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet_stub... no
checking for inet_ntoa... no
checking for inet_ntoa in -lnsl... no
checking for connect... no
checking for connect in -lsocket... no
checking for remove... no
checking for remove in -lposix... no
checking for shmat... no
checking for shmat in -lipc... no
checking for sys/types.h... (cached) no
checking for stdint.h... (cached) no
checking for poll in -lpoll... no
checking CoreAudio/CoreAudio.h usability... no
checking CoreAudio/CoreAudio.h presence... no
checking for CoreAudio/CoreAudio.h... no
checking if res_init needs -lresolv... no
checking if res_init is available... no
checking for killpg in -lucb... no
checking for int... no
checking size of int... 0
checking for long... no
checking size of long... 0
checking for char *... no
checking size of char *... 0
checking for dlopen in -ldl... (cached) no
checking for shl_unload in -ldld... no
checking for size_t... no
checking size of size_t... 0
checking for unsigned long... no