List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: changing desktop colors
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2004-02-17 17:30:17

On Monday 16 of February 2004 20:03, Jason Harris wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to be able to adjust the user's desktop colors temporarily in
> KStars. We have a color scheme called "Night Vision" that uses only red
> colors because red light does not cause pupil dilation in otherwise dark
> conditions. However, if the rest of the desktop is not made red also,
> there's no real benefit.
>
> Anyway, my question is, how can I change desktop colors programatically?  I
> don't think I need to adjust the KConfig objects, because this change will
> only be temporary while KStars runs (unless KWin queries the config object
> every time it draws?).  I looked around the API docs a bit, but I couldn't
> find anything.

 That's because there's not anything like that. Applications generally
shouldn't play with the global KDE colors. If you really need that, I don't
see any other possibility than duplicating some code from the colors control
module (well, one more I see is trying to do something with colormaps, see
e.g. 'map XInstallColormap', but I have no idea what you would have to do
with that).

 Wouldn't it be much simpler to make the KStars mainwindow fullscreen? That
should hide everything else on the desktop, and would avoid problems like
KStars crashing and leaving its colors active, or similar. You can use
Alt+F3->Advanced->FullScreen, or add KToggleFullScreenAction to KStars.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer