List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [despammed] Re: QA Team [JRT]
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-01-31 2:49:27

Esben Mose Hansen wrote:

> On Friday 30 January 2004 03:58, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>

>>If we put out a release that has a lot of nice new features, users will
>>probably like that.  But, it it also has a lot of new bug compared to 3.1.5
>>they they may go back.  The 3_2_BRANCH from yesterday has bugs that if they
>>are not fixed, I will go back to 3.1.5.
>

> That is to be exspected. I have not migrated to Linux Kernel 2.6.x yet for
> much the same reasons. I don't have a problem with this.
>
> Remember the line: "Release early, release often". There's wisdom there :)

To try to be more clear.

Bugs in new features are to be expected.  Hopefully, these will be what I
refer to as real bugs (design issues) rather than coding errors.

Regression bugs in mature parts of the application should not be allowed in
a stable release.

A few new bugs in mature parts of the application are probably also
impossible to avoid, but a significant amount of effort should be made to
avoid this.

Nothing wrong with continuing to release new RCs or TESTs but the release
needs to meet a certain standard of quality before its final release.
Businesses and governments now depend on our product, we now have a
responsibility to deliver a quality product.  If we don't -- if we deliver
a very buggy release, it will hurt our reputation just as if we were a for
profit company.

People should try to remember that one of the supposed advantages of our
product verses Windows is that Windows is a buggy kludge and we have a well
designed quality product.

--
JRT