List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE CVS udate question
From:       Rob Kaper <cap () capsi ! com>
Date:       2004-01-31 1:35:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 02:26:46AM +0100, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > Now if I update the sources via cvs up, do I need to do a "make clean" or
> > something like that to remove the old object files etc. or can I speed up
> > compilation keeping the object files that have not changed? Can this cause
> > any problems?
>
> Just call make -f admin/Makefile.common cvs-clean to remove all files that are
> generated and to clean your sourcetree back to the state of your CVS copy.

Although correct, that doesn't answer the question. ;-)

Normally you won't have to make clean or cvs-clean anything.

There are occasions where old files can cause problems, but I wouldn't
recommend recompiling every single file after each update. The Makefiles
should keep track of which files need to be recompiled.

Regards,
Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | 2/17 Blink-182, 2/29 Anti-Flag
cap@capsi.com | 3/5  Anti-Flag/Heideroosjes, 3/19 The Offspring