List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kactions, toolbars and pop up menus in KCModules
From:       Pupeno <pupeno () pupeno ! com>
Date:       2004-01-27 2:57:41

On Monday 26 January 2004 20:49, Frans Englich wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 January 2004 01:45, Pupeno wrote:

> > > Regarding toolbars in kcms.. usability wise I personally react a little
> > > awkward. Is toolbars in kcms something we think is a good idea or is it
> > > a Bad Thing? (Something to put in KCM_CONVENTIONS I guess)
> > >
> > > I would say there's many good reasons to say it is a bad idea.
> >
> > I'm making a user management kcm, I want a toolbar to add users, remove
>
> Cool :) It is definitely appreciated and needed.
Yeah, I know.

> > users, change passwords, comments, etc... do you think it is a bad idea ?
>
> I can easily imagine that interaction is helped by toolbars considering
> what functionality your kcm provides, no doubt. The problem lies not on
> your particular kcm but rather at KControl and the kcm "technology". IMHO,
> KControl is too ambitious - it covers a too wide content and is designed to
> be used in certain way(it collects and presents small amounts of settings
> and the way of interaction that means).
> For example, your kcm and other "units" which provides administration
> functionality, is really not just "settings" but something the user will
> work in a whole another way with, hence the need for toolbars and xmlui.
> Putting everything in KControl hurts KControl as well as ie. your kcm could
> be in a better place(for example the space the KCM widget gets is way to
> small in order to "work" in).
> As graphical server administration such as user management, mail server,
> kernel config, etc ad infinitum becomes more common in KDE this problem
> will be more and more clear. Furthermore, it is also suitable if all those
> different admin tasks were collected under one umbrella task such as
> KControl, although it perhaps needs to be more sophisticated, somewhere
> inbetween a kcm and kpart perhaps. I don't thing it is handy from a
> development nor user perspective having it as separate programs. This issue
> was highlighted a couple of weeks ago on kde-usability, the imaginative
> umbrella app was called "KAdmin".
>
> You definitely should get in touch with kde-debian who focus on issues like
> yours. I would bet they work on something similar already and it could be a
> good idea trying to unify work and avoid duplicate work. They also got more
> decent stuff to say in this matter, in contrast to my guessing. (CC'ing,
> feel free to cross post, IMHO).

I see what you mean.
I'm not making a generic User Management Tool but a very specific one for a
distribution called Ark Linux: http://www.arklinux.org which is intended as a
desktop for newbies, very newbies so, my application tries to be extremely
explicative and simple and implements lots of particular ways of doing
things, for example, access control lists based on PAM.
Going back to the original question.
I was dreaming to instead of developing yet another configuration tool we
could KControl because I found KControl very powerfull, so, we could move
things arround to best fit our needs in KControl and develop some KCModules
for the task KControl doesn't do (like xconfig, network config, user
management) and use KControl as our configuration tool.
But I'm finding that a KCModule is not very well suited for a user management
tool and I'm consider going back to develop a KApplication *sighs*.
In the long term what I think would be kewl is to develop an application (for
Ark Linux) that would be able to load some KParts for Managing and KCModules
so we wouldn't have to rewrite everything that is already written as
KCModules, but I find that solution kinda hard to implement an unclean.
What do you people think ?

- --
Pupeno: pupeno@pupeno.com
http://www.pupeno.com