List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: ioslaves with *any* linux apps -> it works :-))
From:       "Kurt Pfeifle" <kpfeifle () danka ! de>
Date:       2004-01-08 22:19:49

Alexander Neundorf wrote:

[....]

> 2. Option:
>
> mount a general ioslave - fuse "gateway"
>
> fuse_kio --gateway /your/gatewaymountpoint
>
> find a remote file, e.g. fish://you@wherever/home/you/sometext.html
>
> replace the "://" with ":__" (two underscores) and prepend /your/
> gatewaymountpoint, gives:
>
> /your/gatewaymountpoint/fish:__you@wherever/home/you/sometext.html
>
> and open this file e.g. with OOo writer:
>
> swriter /your/gatewaymountpoint/fish:__you@wherever/home/you/sometext.html
>
> and see what happens :-))

Jesus Christ!!

I didn't see it but I can imagine it. So if you can now fully
transparently access "fish-mounted" filesystems from OpenOffice,
and if you combine this with the achievements of Jan "Kendy"
Hoselovsky which were announced a few hours ago (see
http://dot.kde.org/1073557624/ if you missed it so far), and with
the OpenOffice-1.1 toolbar icon theme (by Rohit Kaul) then we
could really claim with a calm face that OpenOffice is now better
integrated into KDE than into Ximian Desktop 2. Or, what is
missing, apart from the dialogs (which Kendy is also working
on, I believe)?

We should be really pushing this fact into the public knowledge!

This is the kind of news which needs to trickle even into CEO
and CIO offices of Fortune 500 companies. Bruse will not like
it too much, but here we can't help, can we?

Oh, dear.

Alex, you rock!

> Here are two SCREENSHOTS, see how konqy displays the remote directory using
> the fish ioslave, and note the full path of the html file in OOo swriter, in
> the combo box :-)
>
> http://www.neundorf.net/pics/swriter_with_fuse-kio-gateway.png

Awesome!

(May I ask for a "blue" KDE Corp. Ident. background-shot which is
fit for public cosumption and makes it more recognizeable as a
KDE stuff thingie?   ;-)

> The address translation can be done via a script, and then we can open remote
> file also with non-KDE apps :-)

Brilliant!

> Bye
> Alex