List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Does KDE want to limit or destroy its commercial acceptance?
From:       Shaheed <srhaque () iee ! org>
Date:       2003-12-30 10:37:09

I was resisting replying to this *KDE* thread, but since the thread has
already started spiralling into Qt, perhaps I can give a first hand account
of the selection of Qt in a commercial setting?

- A team of 4 engineers was responsible for mainting and developing a
distributed server suite of some 970,000 lines of highly-portable,
soft-realtime C code. The code achieved its portability partially by using
its own custom VM for exceptions, threads, memory, interrupts and ORB rather
than any standard C libraries.

- We wanted to open the codebase up to C++ and Java code while keeping the
portability to allow the development team to grow (and not to have to learn
the custom VM or ORB).

- We did a search for supported products that could help us on our way. We
looked at all the major C++ libraries, and when we examined the portability
issues (including potential Windows support), support for threading
(including TLS), support for databases, files and network I/O, potential
longevity of the codebase/company, the choice was VERY limited and VERY easy:
Qt. Note that GUI support was just a nice to have for us.

- We *then* looked at the cost: management laughed when they were told it
would cost $1000 for each developer per year with no runtime charge!

The reason is that the fully loaded cost of an engineer is now between $100k
and $200k per annum. The figures explain why so many others have stated that
Qt licensing cost is not an issue.

Thanks, Shaheed