List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Does KDE want to limit or destroy its commercial acceptance?
From:       Dominic Chambers <dominic () enkasa ! com>
Date:       2003-12-30 9:28:48

On Tuesday 30 Dec 2003 9:14 am, Paul Hampson wrote:
> Thanks for you comments. I was not looking to start a debate on the quality
> of the software. Lets put this debate in a bubble that says the both Qt and
> GTK are equal. Indeed LGPL may have issues, but would you not agree that
> linux needs proprietary apps to pull them out of the shadows? LGPL seems to
> encourage this. What KDE says on its site [see my previous email regarding
> the limiting of liscensing (the quote at the top of it)] seems to shun
> this. Is this actually the case?

I think you are just paying lip service to some FUD that's been going round.
All the facts show the contrary to be the case: large companies have flocked
to Qt, but almost no non-linux distro companies have ever used Gtk. Here is a
list of large companies that have licensed Qt from Trolltech:

Adobe
Agilent
ARM
Boeing
Bosch
Cadence
Canon
CEA Technologies
ChevronTexaco
DaimlerChrysler
Deutsche Telekom
Earth Decision Sciences
ESA
Fraunhofer
HP
IBM
Intel
JD Edwards
Lockheed Martin
LogicaCMG
Mentor Graphics
NASA
NEC
NTT
PGS
Pioneer
Rohde & Schwarz
Scania
Schlumberger
Sharp
Shell
Siemens
Sony
STN-Atlas
Stryker Leibinger
Synopsys
Thales

People can say what they like, but the facts speak for themselves. The only
resistance to Qt has come from Linux distros themselves, and I too would love
to know the *real* reason for this.

Dominic.