List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Use settings:/ in Konqeuror instead of KControl in 3.2?
From:       Dominic Chambers <dominic () enkasa ! com>
Date:       2003-12-22 18:37:02

ArkLinux, which I am currently using, does something like this right now
(Mission Control), so you may want to take a look at that to get some tips.

It contains a mix of KDE configuration apps and shortcuts to some control
center modules which it embeds locally. For a beginner it is incredibly
useful, although I find it slightly annoying because I have to go to the
'Mission Control' before I can click 'KDE Control Center' from the 'See Also'
link in the left hand side (think WinXP).

From using it personally I very much like it, but I do pander to ease of use
over pure power. My only complaint is that when I do need the KDE Control
Center it is still as oddly laid out as ever (you can never be sure under
which heading something may be located). It would also be nice if KDE CC
could be laid out more intuitively so that I always guessed right first time.
Perhaps that should be the first priority since you will never truly know how
to make this new layer optimal until the existing one is as could as it could
be.

BTW: If you haven't tried ArkLinux and are looking for a quality KDE
distribution, I can reccomend it highly. Even though it is still Alpha it is
full featured and incredibly well behaved.