List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE 3.2 beta 2, problem with sound
From:       Auke Jilderda <jilderda () dds ! nl>
Date:       2003-12-22 12:06:47

I just built KDE 3.2 beta 2 using konstruct.  So far, I've built kdebase and
kmail + cryptography libraries and am currently building the remaining
packages and dependencies of kde 3.2 beta.

First impression is that this release feels significantly faster than my
regular install (3.1.4, currently in Debian's unstable) and almost everything
works fine. :-)!

There are some issues that I'd like to report but don't quite know where so I
thought I'd post them here:
- Most importantly, I cannot get the sound daemon to work.  For some reason,
the control centre doesn't list Alsa as option but only lists 'autodetect,
open sound system, no audio input/output, network audio system, threaded open
sound system'.  Should I have passed some argument at compile time to enable
Alsa or am I overlooking something else?  The current setting "autodetect"
bails out with an error "cannot open /dev/dsp (no such device)".  (In my
regular KDE 3.1.4, it works like a charm.)
- I managed to screw up the menu bar of applications: It only shows the 1.5
most left entries.  Restarting the app fixes it.  Bad news is, I cannot (yet)
reproduce it.  I'll try some more though.

Auke

--
PGP 0x4A34DD6D