List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Collecting "hi" voices
From:       Adriaan de Groot <adridg () sci ! kun ! nl>
Date:       2003-12-16 13:03:12

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Frans Englich wrote:

> > > I'd vote for a warm, female voice: "Welcome to KDE"... :)
> >
> > You couldn't make it too warm, otherwise it will sound like a porn ad :P
>
> I don't really know if I like the ideas in this "hi voices"- thread. First of
> all this will take alot of disk space, even if ogg-format is the standard(for
> 3.3). Second, what is the point of having the computer say "Welcome to KDE"
> when it startups - in what way does it makes the interaction better? I don't
> like it because it personfies the computer, gives it an identity and becomes
> _the_ content which is the documents, the html pages/whatever's role. This is
> the main reason.

As someone already pointed out, this thread has veered wildly from what I
originally intended (though I mentioned "time-wasting" at the start): a
collection of ogg files _on_the_web_, not in everyone's KDE install, with
various folks saying "welcome to KDE" in their native tongue. Possibly
more than one native folk if the Kopete guys can't agree on who says what.
It's meant for the purely "toy" purpose of answering questions like "what
does coolo sound like?" or "how do i say `welcome to KDE' in Czech?" I
mean, I can probably answer both questions (terse; nazdrovie na KDE) but
it's just not the same in text.

The ideal response to my original message would have been: "o yeah, i'm
maintained of .... website, there's space there, use it. And since I speak
Welsh and Navaho, I've put up the relevant oggs for those already."

--
 Adriaan de Groot    adridg@cs.kun.nl     Kamer A6020     024-3652272
GPG Key Fingerprint 934E 31AA 80A7 723F 54F9  50ED 76AC EE01 FEA2 A3FE