List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Native Widgets for OpenOffice
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () virgilio ! it>
Date:       2003-12-12 15:06:21

On Friday 12 December 2003 15:26, Jason Keirstead wrote:
> On December 12, 2003 9:56 am, Andrea Bergia wrote:
> > See this link:
> > http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/
> > Do someone (more competent than me :-) ) plan to pick up the QT/KDE
> > version of OpenOffice's widgets? It will be really nice to have OO fit
> > into the desktop nicely...
>
> After reading the link, it seems that it doesn't actually *use* the native
> widgets. Rather, what it does is get the native library to paint a widget,
> then uses it's bitmap to draw the OO widget. This way all the widgets are
> still actually OO implemented.
>
> If this is indeed the scheme being used, is there much advantage to writing
> a whole new Qt/KDE imp. when you could just use the GTK OO with Geramik?
> Since it is not actually using the widgets but just painting them, I don't
> see too much of a difference, since this is what Geramik does already.

I think the advantage would be that OpenOffice would blend better with kde,
even if the user chose a style that is not available for Gnome, and even if
the user did not bother to set up a Gnome/GTK style.

It should not be too hard to do it though, probably the QStyle/KStyle classes
have all that is needed.

Luciano