List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-devel]  3 D Desktop
From:       Tim Jansen <ml () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2003-12-10 17:53:16

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 10:16, Wout Mertens wrote:
> It doesn't :) It's a showcase of technologies.

But the Sun guy (Schwartz?) talked about innovation all the time. I didn't
find anything significant that I didnt see years ago. If they would ship it
in 3 month it would be somewhat interesting, but as a 'research project' it
is completely useless at this point...

> The transparancy-on-focusout is a mixed blessing: You can see other
> windows, but everything becomes hard to read.

And it destroys the number 1 reason for Windows: you can put two windows next
to each other. But if only one of them can be read with ease, it does not
make any sense to use WIMP anymore.

> Well, I'll grant you most points, but I disagree on the snapshots. Two
> text windows will have different places where the text is. So instead of
> having two Konsole buttons, you'd have two different-looking thumbnails
> that you can recognize enough to select the right one.

That depends on the kind of text. I could tell a web browser showing Slashdot
from one showing The Register. But it would be completely useless if I have 5
windows with C++ code, or 5 windows with different slashdot stories.

> Fitt's law could be used here by increasing the active window size. (Or
> shrinking all non-active windows and increasing the default font size,
> more likely)

Since in the real world almost everybody is using the full vertical resolution
all the time it wouldnt help much though.

> Yes, but ratpoison is ugly. No offence meant :)

Sure, the interesting feature of ratpoison is not that it's beautiful, but
it's an interesting way of making window management easier.

bye...