List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-devel]  3 D Desktop
From:       Tim Jansen <ml () tjansen ! de>
Date:       2003-12-09 19:58:08

On Tuesday 09 December 2003 16:12, Wout Mertens wrote:
> When a window loses focus, it smoothly becomes transparant. You can
> double-click on the title bar and that rotates the window, where you'll
> find a sticky note that you can write stuff on :).
> The bar at the bottom contains live snapshots of the running windows.

The demo just fails in a very important point: how does it make the desktop
more effective to use or easier to learn? That's the problem that all the 3D
desktop attempts did not solve, they rather make your life more difficult.

Notes on the back of a window belong to the most useless ideas I've ever
heard... the excessive use of features that seemed to be hidden under
keystrokes rather make it much more difficult to learn. They did not solve
the problem that users do not know their options, but rather made it worse by
not showing them... The CD app is useless (do you know what picture is on a
audio CD?), does not scale (how do you browse through 100 CDs?) and could be
done in 2D - 3D is only used as an effect.... showing live snapshots of
windows may be useful in some cases, but for text it is completely unusable,
since you can't recognize a window full of text when scaled into a 64x64
bitmap... they completely ignored Fitt's Law (the bigger an area is the
faster it is to click, and areas at the border have a near-infinite size) and
instead let clickable-objects float on the screen.

I'd rather go from today's WIMP model to something that is simpler, like
ratpoison (the WM, not the poison), and not make it even more complicated.

bye...