List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fonts in CVS
From:       Allen Winter <winterz () verizon ! net>
Date:       2003-11-12 0:20:00

On Friday 07 November 2003 10:09 am, Allen Winter wrote:
> On Thursday 06 November 2003 08:43 pm, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> > On Thursday 06 November 2003 4:47 pm, Allen Winter wrote:
> > > Hello Everyone:
> > >
> > > I just started running the CVS version (built myself)  and the first
> > > thing I noticed is that all my fonts are gone and the fonts being used
> > > are rather small and ugly.  Should I have started with a clean .kde
> > > subdir or something?  This is on RH9.
> > >
> > > I must be doing something wrong... any ideas?
> >
> > Perhaps QT didn't find Xft2.  Run qt-copy's configure with the -verbose
> > option.  You should see something like this:
> >
> > Xft auto-detection... ()
> >   Found libXft2.so in /usr/lib
> >   Found X11/Xft/Xft.h in /usr/X11R6/include
> >   Found X11/Xft/Xft.h in /usr/include
> >   Found Xft version 2.0
> >   Found freetype2/freetype/freetype.h in /usr/include
> >   Found fontconfig/fontconfig.h in /usr/X11R6/include
> > Xft enabled.
> >
> > On RedHat 8, I had to create a symbolic link (can't remember where) to
> > get qt-copy to see Xft properly.
> >
> > I'm looking forward to moving back to Debian, and being able to apt-get
> > cvs debs.  :)
>
> Thanks for the response Mark.
> I haven't checked the Xft issue yet, but I have found that by removing all
> the kde cache stuff in /tmp, and starting with a fresh ~/.kde, I at least
> get the pretty default fonts.  I guess I'll start from scratch... which is
> probably the best thing to do anyhow.

More info on this:
+ I verified that my Qt build found Xft just as Mark shows above.
+ I found a file called .fonts.cache-1 in my home dir that seem to cause the problem.
   .fonts.cache-1 looks like is re-created each time I start X/KDE.  Anyone know
   what this file is all about?  Any why it is causing me problems in KDE?

-Allen