List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kppp in kdebase
From:       Andy Fawcett <andy () athame ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-09-15 20:03:12

On Monday 15 September 2003 22:54, George Staikos wrote:
> On Monday 15 September 2003 15:51, Andy Fawcett wrote:

> > >   Could this involve a DSL dialup manager by any chance? :-)
> >
> > Dialup? DSL? What a strange concept...
> >
> > Yeah, I know... I'm just lucky to not have to dialup on my DSL :)
>
>   The DSL providers around here provide a utility that works just
> like a PPP dialup connection manager.  I think Linux really needs one
> of these as it makes DSL setup far more accessible for the average
> user.  Setting up PPPOE is not that easy.  Even though many distros
> do the "setup", it's much nicer to provide something similar to what
> the DSL provider ships their Windows clients.

When I said I was lucky, I meant really lucky.

DSL router, ethernet based, plug one RJ45 in to the back of the PC. Plug
phone cable into wall. Switch on. Authenticate via the (pre-programmed)
address. Use like a normal ethernet router.

No dialup, no pppoe software, just a standard NIC in my PC.

However, I know the sort of utility you mean (an alternative DSL
supplier here provides one for Win32), and I agree it would be very
useful to the majority of DSL users.

A.
--
Andy Fawcett                                     | andy@athame.co.uk