List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Storage implementation in KDE
From:       David Johnson <david () usermode ! org>
Date:       2003-09-13 2:57:52

On Friday 12 September 2003 07:16 pm, Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) wrote:

> If you could right-click the file and select the categories from a
> list, or perhaps , at save point, select a "Folder" with the category
> name, it could work though.  Instead of creating "Directories", the
> user would create "Categories" beforehand.  Never mind that the
> "categories" could be named "directories" or "folders" as well,
> blurring the line.

Why bother blurring the line at all? Just keep the traditional
hierarchical organization. UI wise, the user is going to pick one item
out of that menu, so it doesn't matter much if its a folder or a
category. My main concern is the UI. I really want to see a general
purpose UI for this kind of stuff before I irrevocably commit all of my
filesystems over to a database. I can easily imagine some usable
interfaces for special purpose applications, but not for the general
case. A mockup with test data would be excellent to see.

I hate sounding like the old fart raining on everyone's parade, but a
system like done right this is going to affect everything from the
kernel on up. It's extremely invasive. I just want some evidence that
it will be usable once done.

--
David Johnson