List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kppp in kdebase
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2003-09-11 16:21:18

Hello,

This wish probably won't be accepted but I'd like to present reasons for
moving kppp from kdenetwork to kdebase:

1.
In many kde-packages are applications which are net-dependent:
kdeaddons:
atlantikdesigner - atlantik is net based game
kaddressbook-plugins - kaddressbook is very tightly connected with net
kontact -the same

kdeadmin:
kwuftpd - OK, maybe this not. If you are admin of ftp site you use something
better than ppp

kdeedu:
kstars - many, many links to search things on the net

kdegames:
atlantik - web based game

kdegraphics:
kfax - sending faxes needs connection to the net

kdemultimedia:
kscd - looks in net for fddb base

kdepim:
kmail, knode, kaddressbook

kdesdk:
today is hard to imagine working on project without connection to net
the same for kdevelop and quanta

kdeutils:
kssh

And of course Konqueror itself.

Not only I see this problem. In Mdk9.1 kppp was moved to separate package
kdenetwork-kppp because in many cases kppp don't match with other programs
from kdenetwork which need broadband or at least *DSL connection to the
net.

Perhaps this is too late to make this change for 3.2 but IMO this thing to
think about for 4.0 (or 3.3).

m.