List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kpaint
From:       Michael Thaler <michael.thaler () physik ! tu-muenchen ! de>
Date:       2003-09-10 19:18:25

> Hello Michael,

> The idea of having specialized config dialogs for the tools instead of
> just using the common "Tool Properties" dialog sounds very good to me.
>
> Might I suggest you implement a 2nd way how to invoke these per-tool
> configuration dialogs?
>
> IMhO it would be good to have an entry for these dialogs in the toolbar's
> RBM as well: this entry could change its name depending on the tool that
> was right-clicked onto - so e.g. if the user would click the right mouse
> button over the Lines tool the right button menu would show the
> following entry on top of the other entries:
>
>    "Configure Lines"
>
> If the user would NOT click with the mouse over a tool buton but over
> the empty rest of the toolbar this extra entry could be either grayed out
> or just not there at all.
>
> The reason why I am asking for this functionality is that item-specific
> tasks normally can be accessed via context menus - so the configuration
> of a tool bar button's properties would be looked for in the RBM by
> experienced KDE users.

Sounds very good to me. Maybe this is even better then opening dialog
boxes by double clicking on them. The only problem is, that I do not
know yet how to implement that.

Maybe you can point out how to implement that or maybe an application
that already does this? I don't know one. Is this possible at all?

For now, I got tue UI working. Double clicking on a toolbar icon opens
a dialog (not yet, just writes out some text now:-))

Thinking a little more, I guess, it is best to leave color and line
width as global options, but move the fill dialog to the tool specific
dialogs (is this o.k?). I also think that a option for shadows would
be nice. Also filling with a different color then the line should be
nice, e.g. a rectangle with blue outline and a red filled area. This
all should not be to hard to do.

Thanks for your suggestions!
Michael