List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Storage implementation in KDE
From:       David Johnson <david () usermode ! org>
Date:       2003-09-10 2:53:40

On Tuesday 09 September 2003 03:36 pm, Marco Krohn wrote:

> isn't specifying a directory + filename already some sort of meta
> data? For example moving einstein.jpg to the directory pics/physics.

Yes it is. It's a form of hierarchical organization. What Storage and
other proposals implement is a relational organization. You could do
the same thing in a filesystem, but it would take an inordinate number
of symlinks.

There are seeming advantages to a relationally organized filesystem.
It's intriguing. But my doubts about its usability make me want to see
a working implementation with real world data before I make a complete
judgement.

I would be very interested in seeing and playing with a prototype of
Storage built into a single application, such as a media player. It
shouldn't be too difficult to emulate the behavior with an rdbms.

--
David Johnson