List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Storage implementation in KDE
From:       Brian Ledbetter <brian () shadowcom ! net>
Date:       2003-09-08 1:23:46

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 05:50:36PM -0700, David Johnson wrote:
> But filesystems are for more than just music. While mp3's have a lot of
> metadata stored with them already, most files do not. Thus, what makes
> sense of music won't necessarily make sense for other kinds of data.
> What about the documentation that I personally create? If I don't
> specifically sit down and create that metadata, it won't exist.

This is true, although I would say that Google is proof enough that the
technology exists to be able to automatically categorize and organize
arbitrary documents for quick retrieval.  I agree with you, though - if
the system requires any additional input from the user in order for it
to function correctly, it is useless.  If it can automatically handle
some of these tasks, users may actually consider using it, though.  :)

--
Brian C. Ledbetter <brian@shadowcom.net>
http://www.shadowcom.net/brian/