List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Storage implementation in KDE
From:       David Johnson <david () usermode ! org>
Date:       2003-09-08 0:50:36

On Saturday 06 September 2003 07:58 pm, Brian Ledbetter wrote:
> This is true - though I think the point of Storage is that much of
> the metadata available for categorizing files (namely, track titles,
> artist names, document attributes [author/title/etc], and the like)
> is already there.  No additional categorization would be required on
> the part of the user.  The idea is intriguing, though - I'll see if I
> can come up with a proof-of-concept modelled after what Seth already
> has done.

But filesystems are for more than just music. While mp3's have a lot of
metadata stored with them already, most files do not. Thus, what makes
sense of music won't necessarily make sense for other kinds of data.
What about the documentation that I personally create? If I don't
specifically sit down and create that metadata, it won't exist.

--
David Johnson