List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Help with --help
From:       Allen Winter <winterz () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2003-09-02 19:26:24

Everyone,

I'm working on a KDE application with a bunch of command line arguments.
When the user runs with --help, I'd like to be able to show help for the
arguments in a more organized manner than what KCmdLineArgs::parsedArgs()
prints.  I'd like to be able to group the help into different subtopics (sort of
how tar --help does it).  Also, maybe print some examples with the help.

Is printing more "verbose" help like this ok for a KDE app?
i.e, will I be breaking KDE style guidelines?

If it is ok, how would I go about using KCmdLineArgs to make it happen?
Or is there another KDE way of doing this?

Something like this completely made-up example:
% kapplication --help

Examples:
  kapplication --insert --today
  kapplication --delete --tag Fred

Main operation mode:
  --insert   insert stuff
  --delete   delete stuff
  --append append stuff
  --change  change stuff

Operation modifiers:
  --tag <tag>  where to do the stuff
  --before       insert before tag
  --after         insert after tag

Tag modifiers:
  --today        tag today
  --yesterday  tag yesterday
  --date          tag is date [yyyy-mm-dd]
 etc. etc.