List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Introducing and Devices Kicker Applet
From:       Kévin Ottens <ervin () tuxfamily ! org>
Date:       2003-08-23 15:51:25

Dear KDE developers,

I follow KDE since its first beta (before 1.0). I use it daily... and the only
contributions I've made are a translation for KLCC (thanks for it M.
Simonsson!) and voting for bugs in bugs.kde.org.
Now, I wish to payback for all the years of fun and services all
the KDE developers have given to us in general and to me in
particular.

I come with my first KDE tool, I hope it is the first of a long
development contributions serie.

I've made an applet for kicker that allow to have your devices
easily reachable. I find easier to have them in kicker than on the
desktop.

Actually, I've tried to have the best KDE integration possible,
that's why it uses "devices:/" (and its mimetypes) and services menus.
Out of the box, it can mount, unmount, eject (if appropriate) your devices,
and, for mounted devices, you can use your installed services
on the devices mountpoints.

Joseph Wenninger kindly helped me to write it, and I greatly thank him!

Since I don't have a CVS commit access, he proposed me to add
it into kdebase, if the release coordinator don't mind. I would be
proud to see it in the future versions of KDE.

For now you can download it here:
http://ervin.tuxfamily.org/download/devicesapplet-20030822.tar.bz2

I'm waiting for your comments and/or advices.

Best regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, ervin@tuxfamily.org, http://ervin.tuxfamily.org
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."