List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kpdf inclusion
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-08-22 6:26:15

Christophe Devriese wrote:
> the new version of xpdf is now included in kpdf, a number of extra features
> are coming (text selection and copying comes to mind).
>
> In short I'm asking : what will happen to it now ?

Please disregard previous message (for now at least).

I updated and built from: "kdenonbeta".  Is that the correct version?  If
not, please tell me where to look.

So, it built fine and I installed it in KDE 3.1.3+ using Qt-3.1.2.

I opened a PDF that uses Times and Helvetica -- the standard fonts for PDFs
-- which are NOT embedded.  It doesn't look very good.  The Helvetica looks
good, but the Times is not Times but rather appears to be incorrectly
spaced Helvetica.

So, first job is to get the fonts to work.

Could you give me a road map as to how it finds fonts?  Which source files,
etc.?  And, how does it do this?  Is this another problem with Qt using the
wrong names for fonts? :-(

A NOTE: I found this comment in: GfxFont.cc

     // this is technically an error -- the Widths entry is required
     // for all but the Base-14 fonts -- but certain PDF generators
     // apparently don't include widths for Arial and TimesNewRoman

If it is: ArialMT and TimesNewRomanPSMT (which are Type1 fonts NOT
TrueType), this is not really an error since these fonts are supposed to
have exactly the same widths as Helvetica and Times (respectively).  The
new versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader have them in place of Helvetica and
Times (which came with version 3.x).

--
JRT

["tr-h.pdf" (application/pdf)]