List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: autorun?!
From:       matthias-wieser () t-online ! de (Matthias Wieser)
Date:       2003-08-20 10:25:05

Gav Wood wrote:

> in the case of a mixed cd (data and audio), suppose you want it
> automounted - which layer looks after it? suppose you want it left
> unmounted and the cdplayer started - which layer attends to it then?

You don't know what I want. And the computer doesn't know, too. That's the
problem.

>> What's so hard at clicking on the CD-icon?
>
> why bother the user with pointless mouse interaction when the action
> could be made automagic?

Those mouse interactions are really infrequent and the error-rate of those
automagic daemons is to high.
If I insert an audio-CD, maybe I want the cdplayer to startup - but maybe
I want to rip the cd.
If I insert an data-CD, maybe I want the setup program to start - but
maybe I only want to copy the documentation.pdf to my local drive. Or I
only want to find out, what that CD contains.

> you seem to be harping back to the (bad) old windows days

You mean good old unix days?

> when magasine
> cover discs/game instructions always had to say "navigate into the cd
> rom; click autorun.exe".
> i always found my self asking why the fsck
> can't the computer just do that?!

It's simple: The computer can't do that because it doesn't know what you
want to do. If it tries to do that, the user get's annoyed (ask a
Windows-user).