List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: checking for GTK and glib in configure.in.in ?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-08-06 21:54:39

Zack Rusin wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 August 2003 23:36, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>"Why didn't you _JUST_ help him?"
>

> What are you talking about? How? Get to his place before he committed
> the code? Unfortunately I do not yet offer the "across the Atlantic"
> "get to the developer house and stop him from committing broken code"
> services, that's Zack version 2.0. When I'm working on something across
> few apps and libs I do need a working build system. For you it might
> not be a problem. You update from KDE and Gimp from CVS, one of them
> doesn't compile, you go do a couple of push-ups, sing in a choir, play
> seek and hide or do whatever it is you're doing in your spare time,
> come back update again and continue this procedure until one of them
> compiles.  Unfortunately I can't afford to wait for others to fix so
> crucial things as build system when I'm working. I can either revert or
> fix it myself. From these two I think the better option is #2 although
> most of us prefer to do #1 and wait for a proper fix from the author.
>

>>Yes you did fix his mistake.  But why didn't you ONLY help him.
>>Clearly meaning why did you do other things besides help him.  Other
>>things such as the "you suck" remark posted (IIUC) to 'kde-cvs'.
>

> Did I miss you paying me for following your half-cooked vision of coding
> in an Open Source project? As much as it might shock you - you have
> absolutely no saying here. None, whatsoever.
>

>>So, please *do* read Robert Ardrey's book and try to realize the
>>marking your teritory on this list does not contribute to improving
>>the product.
>

> See, this list is KDE developers territory. Meaning it's way more my
> territory then it will ever be yours. It's the same with wasting time;
> although time is equally important for all people - for KDE mine if way
> more important than yours.

You really should read the book.  Especially if you don't know what it is about.

> And as for the book, you really didn't have to mention it, I never
> questioned the fact that you can read. I'm sure you're reading skills
> are simply top-notch. I mean, you cut through this thread like a hot
> knife through butter. I can only imagine how many SpiderMan comics you
> read from cover to cover while I'm coding on KDE. Man, you probably
> already know what happens in "Spider-Man 2 - The Movie". In fact I can
> see a little bit of a super-hero in you. You fight all the right
> fights, like making sure that GUI toolkits like KDE SVG aren't
> neglected and people get to the bottom of the GTK acronym, which is
> great. Really help us all. Boy, how embarrassed was I when I grepped
> old GTK+ and Pango changelogs finding my name in them and then seeing
> your email explaining to me that GTK does not in fact stand for GNOME
> Tool Kit. So yeah, keep the faith, keep fighting and remember: be
> yourself, because you have to be someone and everyone else is already
> taken.

Forget it Zack.  Just go on making your mingent remarks.

Perhaps some day you will realize that inexperienced coders need mentoring not insults.
That if the "alpha" coders always did that that they wouldn't have to do it all themselves
because there would be a lot more people working on the project.

And also, in case you didn't know.  Engineers like to argue.  So, if you make a mingent
remark and an engineer reads it, you can expect for an argument to ensue.

But, I have had enough of this so I am -- uncharacteristically -- going to take the advice
that discretion is ... .

And just say whatever.  Except that there is a little truth in your latest rant.  I did
take strong exception to the way you treated Reinhold  -- it was totally uncalled for
unless your intentions were that you wanted him to stop contributing to the KDE project --
that you wanted him to leave 'your teritory'.

Whatever.

--
JRT