List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: checking for GTK and glib in configure.in.in ?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-08-04 19:30:49

Henrique Pinto wrote:
> On Saturday 02 August 2003 15:40, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>>No, it's not. GIMP doesn't require developmental packages of neither
>>>Glib or GTK+.
>>
>>It is hard to build The GIMP from source without them.
>

> Most human beings don't have The GIMP installed in their computers.
> And, most of the few who have got it through binary packages, not compiled it
> from sources.

But we are not talking about "[m]ost human beings" only those users that compiled KDE from
source.  Many of those will have also compiled The GIMP from source.

> If you use KDE, you are likely to use KDE programs, not GTK+ ones. Don't
> assume anyone has GTK+ development packages installed.

Didn't we already cover that: The GIMP is a GTK program.

> And, btw, GIMP is useless for most computer users (how many people need image
> manipulation for doing their daily work?). I don't understand your assumption
> that everyone has The GIMP installed and compiled from sources.

Well lets see any Linux user that uses a scanner or a digital camera would probably use
it, as well as many that have neither.  I also find that it is necessary for other uses.

>>>Are you going somewhere with this?
>>
>>Yes, where I'm going is that your anti-GNOME hostility shouldn't be
>>directed towards GTK.
>

> KDE has chosen Qt as its toolkit, not GTK+. If you want to do GTK+ coding,
> then go see GNOME. There you can use GTK+ as much as you want.

The issue is if you want to be able to use an existing application which was built with
the GTK.

> GTK+ on KDE should only be allowed for optional things. Creating a dependency
> on it is stupidity.
>
> BTW: GNOME XML tools are not a toolkit.

It is still one of the GNOME dependencies in KDE stuff.

--
JRT