List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: checking for GTK and glib in configure.in.in ?
From:       Henrique Pinto <stampede () coltec ! ufmg ! br>
Date:       2003-08-02 19:10:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 02 August 2003 15:40, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > No, it's not. GIMP doesn't require developmental packages of neither
> > Glib or GTK+.
>
> It is hard to build The GIMP from source without them.

Most human beings don't have The GIMP installed in their computers.
And, most of the few who have got it through binary packages, not compiled it
from sources.

If you use KDE, you are likely to use KDE programs, not GTK+ ones. Don't
assume anyone has GTK+ development packages installed.

And, btw, GIMP is useless for most computer users (how many people need image
manipulation for doing their daily work?). I don't understand your assumption
that everyone has The GIMP installed and compiled from sources.

> >>Remember, GTK doesn't  stand for GNOME Tool Kit.
> >
> > Are you going somewhere with this?
>
> Yes, where I'm going is that your anti-GNOME hostility shouldn't be
> directed towards GTK.

KDE has chosen Qt as its toolkit, not GTK+. If you want to do GTK+ coding,
then go see GNOME. There you can use GTK+ as much as you want.

GTK+ on KDE should only be allowed for optional things. Creating a dependency
on it is stupidity.

BTW: GNOME XML tools are not a toolkit.
--
	Henrique Pinto