List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: checking for GTK and glib in configure.in.in ?
From:       Zack Rusin <zack () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-08-02 3:12:17

On Friday 01 August 2003 22:59, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > The "you suck" comments tend to have a lot higher reaction time
> > then the endless "please, please, oh, please don't assume that KDE
> > developers have Gnome libraries installed".
>
> I think that is reasonable to assume that many users have the
> libraries that are needed to use The GIMP.

No, it's not. GIMP doesn't require developmental packages of neither
Glib or GTK+.

> Remember, GTK doesn't  stand for GNOME Tool Kit.

Are you going somewhere with this? It doesn't matter what it stands for,
what does matter is that we've chosen a different toolkit as our
default GUI toolkit and a hard dependency on another is simply
unacceptable. By a "hard dependency" I mean one that doesn't let you
compile the rest of the module in which the app using another toolkit
is located.

Zack

--
So many pedestrians -- so little time.