List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: are GUI elements like Dialogs in a kioslave possible in some
From:       Kuba Ober <kuba () mareimbrium ! org>
Date:       2003-07-30 19:11:40

If you need a lot of custom (non html+javascriptable) interaction, you're
looking for a kpart, not a kioslave.

If you insist on ioslave, then have a look at how ioslaves work and what kind
of abstraction do they present. I think that if you just type something like
"rdbms://" you should be presented with a form that you fill for password,
username, db host, db type, etc. Then you click "connect" and you actually
open the chosen database via a URL that was prepared by the  page you just
presented.

So, going to "rdbms://" just presents you with a rather standard html form,
with a tiny hint of javascript to handle rewriting of the final URL. The
final URL say looks like "rdbms://user:password@dbhost:port/table1". You can
simply save that URL in your bookmarks, or just retype it later when you want
to go back to the same spot.

And believe it or not, but kioslaves are also meant to be used bo completely
automated tasks. You don't want dialog boxes to pop up at random points in
time.

Cheers, Kuba Ober