List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Build system questions
From:       Wagner Sales <wsalles2003 () yahoo ! com ! br>
Date:       2003-07-30 13:59:07

Simon Perreault wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am writing my own KDE-based application and am having trouble with the
>KDevelop-generated (and also the kapptemplate-generated) build system. I
>tried and tried to find the answers to the following questions by myself, but
>couldn't. Could anyone offer a pointer to some resource, or even answer the
>questions directly? Thanks!
>
>- How should one test and include third-party libraries in the
>autoconf/automake system? I want my configure script to answer the following
>common questions:
>    - what is the prefix of the library? (with a default prefix)
>    - what is the directory of headers?
>    - what is the directory of shared objects?
>
>- How should one include application icons in the build system? How about
>multiple schemes (crystal, hicolor, etc.) or multiple sizes?
>
>- How about other kind of data? How should it be included in the build system?
>Take for example big interpolation tables for math stuff.

Simon,
I was tried a lot too. But, I will suggest to you: donwload the Gideon
(kdevelop 3 alpha 4).
In gideon you'll see an AutoMake Manager (congratulatios to the owner of
this idea!). Using that, you can put in you project sub projects, and
make de order of compile, link libraries, etc, without worry with
editing files. Another type, just create a new directory in your project
(kdevelop 2.1.x -> File Tree View -> context menu), then click in
Project, Add Files. Select the files of your third-party library, and
add. After that, probaly kdevelop will ask to you if you want to compile
like a shared or static library.
The directory of header is the directory of source. In a project called
foo, you will have foo/foo, where the source files are. Subdirs may
necessary to a best organization of libraries. If you library have
another flags to compile, when you'll add, add with the make files. Edit
the Makefile.am, in this file you will encounter two lines: the init and
end of the lines inserter automatically by kdevelop. If you have
duplicate entries in section by kdevelop and original section of the
makefile, remove them.
Well,  good luck...

Wagner