List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: may be OT: character set problem
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiagom () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2003-07-29 23:41:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
>Hi!
>Windows file names with German Umlaute are not displayed correctly in
>- kmail attachements

My guess is the sender MUA is broken. KMail has never given me any problems
with encoding. In fact, I find it to be an example of doing it right. To be
sure, only by taking a look at the mail headers.

>- konsole (ls)

Not konsole's fault. Your files have the wrong names. Konsole doesn't
translate anything.

>- konqueror

Same as above. What's probably happening is that your file names are not
encoded in the correct locale. They should be encoded in Latin 1 or UTF-8
(for the German language). They apparently not.

Since you're saying that they are Windows files, make sure you did not specify
the wrong charset when you mounted the filesystem.

>also files with Umlaute saved with samba (PC850) are not displayed correctly

For proper support with kio_smb, you should be using the libsmb ioslave along
with Samba 3.0. Samba 2.2.x doesn't support Unicode, so if your setup is an
UTF-8 locale, it won't work. If it's not, it could be a problem in /etc/smb.
conf. However, bugs.kde.org has a lot of kio_smb bugs of wrongly encoded
filenames, so it might be the same situation.

>any workaround available ?

I have several files in FAT partitions with accented letters and they all show
up fine in console, konsole, konqueror, etc. I can't test kio_smb right now
(distribution's Samba 3.0 doesn't contain libsmbclient).

--
  Thiago Macieira  -  Registered Linux user #65028
   thiagom@mail.com