List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: are GUI elements like Dialogs in a kioslave possible insomeway?
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2003-07-29 15:34:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 29 July 2003 17:08, aegir@linuxfrench.net wrote:
> So, why providing a dialog box for Login/Password, as it's the same
> issue ?

This is authentification info which might not be needed and, in case it is
needed, should be asked for in a standard manner across all applications.

Additonally it is common to all protocols: an identifier and a secret.

Other slaves need additional information as well, the audiocd slave needs
the device and bitrate for example.

You don't get dialogs for host and port if you just type http:// into an
URL line edit, do you?

> Answer : just for ease of use.

Inputting information into a dialog is easier than clicking on available
options?

Slaves like lan:/ are so nice because you can just browser what resources
are available.

The target usage of a DB slave sounds like browsing databases.
Editing databases would IMHO be easier with a database application.

> > If the users browses databases she can either put the argument in the
> > URL as well, or use the HTML form you provide.
> > Or you could list all known databases like directories.
>
> I don't think that typing in :
> rdbms://login:password@host:1621/oracle/myschema/
> Is very user-friendly.

You usually don't type that for FTP URLs either, you either have a
bookmark or start with a short base URL like
ftp://username@host:port/

The slave will ask for the password and then present a listing to select a
directory.

Just guessing your concept, couldn't a user start with
rdbms://login@host:1621/

and get a dialog for password and then a list of supported
databasetypes(?) as directories?

> And the HTML form is very dirty. BTW I don't think that the user
> expects a such behaviour. Furthermore, I would like to allow opening
> documents stored in a RDBMS from the File/Open dialog in KWord for
> example. The HTML form could'nt be used, it's just available if you
> want to open an URL from konqueror.

A slave could provide a virtual directory listing, like audiocd does for
different target formats and naming schemes.

Especially in case of a file dialog this sounds like expected behaviour.

Cheers,
Kevin