List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: are GUI elements like Dialogs in a kioslave possible insomeway?
From:       aegir () linuxfrench ! net
Date:       2003-07-29 15:08:32

> On Tuesday 29 July 2003 15:08, aegir@linuxfrench.net wrote:
>> I really think there is a limitation.
>>
>> When I wanted to write a KIO for RDBMS, I wanted to prompt some info :
>>
>> User :
>> Password :
>> RDBMS type :
>> Database :
>> TCP Port :
>>
>> As far as I remember, there is a way to ask User/Password from a kio.
>> Why not providing a way to ask some other informations ?
>>
>> BTW, the only solution I'd found is to generate an HTML form, and ask
>> the user to fill it in...
>

> Is this really a limitation?
> If an application uses the slave to access databases it will know the URL
> syntax to pass the arguments.

So, why providing a dialog box for Login/Password, as it's the same issue ?

Answer : just for ease of use.

> If the users browses databases she can either put the argument in the URL
> as well, or use the HTML form you provide.
> Or you could list all known databases like directories.

I don't think that typing in :
rdbms://login:password@host:1621/oracle/myschema/
Is very user-friendly.

And the HTML form is very dirty. BTW I don't think that the user expects a
such behaviour. Furthermore, I would like to allow opening documents
stored in a RDBMS from the File/Open dialog in KWord for example. The HTML
form could'nt be used, it's just available if you want to open an URL from
konqueror.