List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Upgrading to 3_1_BRANCH
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2003-07-25 5:01:03

Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> I'd like to upgrade my day-to-day kde from 3.1.0 (built with Konstruct) to
> 3_1_BRANCH (built from CVS).
>
> Currently, my KDE-related environmental vars are
> 	QTDIR = /usr/local/kde3.1
> 	KDEDIRS = $QTDIR
> 	LD_LIBRARY = $QTDIR:$PATH
> 	PATH = $QTDIR/bin:$PATH
>
> I've got the BRANCH source.
>
> Can I just make/config/make/install

 From CVS, you must run automake and autoconf.  You don't do this by hand
with KDE; you first execute:

	make -f Makefile.cvs

which will do what is needed to build your configure script.

Then configure, make and make install.

> now in the modules without changing any
> environmental variables?

Yes, although I must say that your settings are a little odd.  The standard
location for Qt is: /usr/local/qt-x.y.z, but I see no reason that you can't
install it in: "/usr/local/kde3.1"

> Is there any problem doing this while I'm running KDE?

Usually not.  But, I would recommend that you do the actual building on a
console rather than in the GUI.  I would restart KDE as soon as you have
installed the new kdelibs and kdebase.

> Other than qt-copy, arts, kdelibs, and kdebase does the module order matter?

Build kdeaddons last.

> Will all my config settings be safe?

Yes, in general *NIX does not modify configuration setting when you install
or uninstall stuff.  Only one thing.  I would make a copy of "kdmrc" if you
have changed it.

--
JRT