List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: new KDE Development book
From:       Marco Krohn <marco.krohn () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-07-21 9:42:46

On Monday 21 July 2003 11:24, Guillaume Laurent wrote:

> The idea of setting up a Wiki has been discussed several times already, and
> although it has never been put into application, I'm among those who think
> it would be a very good thing.

After using the wikipedia (a free encyclopedia on wiki basis - http://www.
wikipedia.org) I am convinced that a good KDE wiki could become THE
information source about KDE (development). The wikipedia proved two things
for me: a wiki does not have to look ugly (in particular the links don't use
the hardToReadCamelStyle) and that literally thousands of contributers can
work together productivly.

> On the other hand, due to the lack of strong editing features (all you have
> is your usual browser's multiline text field), Wiki isn't suitable for
> large documents. Editing something more than a page long quickly gets very
> tedious, so you have to break things up in smaller pieces.

AFAIK the wikipedia CVS version allows editing sections.

FWIW,
  Marco