List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: new KDE Development book
From:       Richard Dale <Richard_Dale () tipitina ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-07-20 10:37:21

On Saturday 19 July 2003 08:42, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> On Samstag, 19. Juli 2003 05:28, Mark Bucciarelli wrote:
> > >
> > > I honestly don't think that can work. C++, even coated with Qt, is
> > > not suitable as a first language
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Python is eminently suited for a first language.
> >
> > Why not an intro section that uses pyKDE to introduce some KDE basics
> > w/o getting bogged down in wordy C++ syntax?
>
> I wouldn't do that. the native programming for KDE/Qt is C++, not python.
> And installing pyKDE is still a PITA.
>
> > I'd be willing to take a crack at this.
>
> How about an extra section for KDE/Qt bindings ? That needs to be covered
> anyway.
Yes, that sounds a good idea.

But I wonder whether it might be no harder to translate from English/C++ to
English/Java, than it would be to go from say C++/German to C++/English.
Especially if it was possible to partially automate the process with scripts
to convert the code snippets or whatever. So rather than add a section for
java, python or other bindings, it might be possible to just translate the
whole book to document a bindings language. That's the sort of thing you can
do with a free book, but not with a 'closed source' one. Java syntax is
closer to C++ than python though - it think it would be a harder to do for
the scripting language bindings like PyKDE.

-- Richard