On Saturday 19 July 2003 08:42, Ralf Nolden wrote: > On Samstag, 19. Juli 2003 05:28, Mark Bucciarelli wrote: > > On Friday 18 July 2003 6:56 pm, Guillaume Laurent wrote: > > > On Friday 18 July 2003 20:02, Ralf Nolden wrote: > > > > Exactly :-) As written earlier, I want to explain/teach C++ > > > > programming with Qt/KDE, so C++ is explained directly with what > > > > one needs - even if you have no programming knowledge about C++ > > > > at all. It's all about practical programming with background > > > > explanation. > > > > > > I honestly don't think that can work. C++, even coated with Qt, is > > > not suitable as a first language > > > > [...] > > > > Python is eminently suited for a first language. > > > > Why not an intro section that uses pyKDE to introduce some KDE basics > > w/o getting bogged down in wordy C++ syntax? > > I wouldn't do that. the native programming for KDE/Qt is C++, not python. > And installing pyKDE is still a PITA. > > > I'd be willing to take a crack at this. > > How about an extra section for KDE/Qt bindings ? That needs to be covered > anyway. Yes, that sounds a good idea. But I wonder whether it might be no harder to translate from English/C++ to English/Java, than it would be to go from say C++/German to C++/English. Especially if it was possible to partially automate the process with scripts to convert the code snippets or whatever. So rather than add a section for java, python or other bindings, it might be possible to just translate the whole book to document a bindings language. That's the sort of thing you can do with a free book, but not with a 'closed source' one. Java syntax is closer to C++ than python though - it think it would be a harder to do for the scripting language bindings like PyKDE. -- Richard >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<