List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Embedding KJS in non-QT app in windows, mac.
From:       Maks Orlovich <mo002j () mail ! rochester ! edu>
Date:       2003-06-27 4:45:53

Chris Nuernberger wrote:

> The company I work at currently uses the spidermonkey javascript engine
> in our application.  We have had a LOT of problems with its garbage
> collection and in general the kruftiness of the code (the mating between
> our application and the engine looks like donkey doo).  These issues
> have lead to less than impressive performance.
>
> I would LOVE to try out KJS in our app, but I am would like some jump
> start info.

Hi.. I am far from an expert on this; but unfortunately due to the high
number of off-topic posts many experts don't watch this list all that much,
so I'll try my best to give you at least some info.. I think a good place
for more detailed inquiries would be the kfm-devel mailing list.
Again, disclaimer: my familiarity with all this is just general background
stuff.

First of all, if you don't know, KJS is standalone from Qt and KDE, and its
only dependency outside of C++ is libpcre..

> Are there ANY tutorials or test apps where KJS is used completely
> outside of anything else KDE?  I suppose there are not and I can deal

There are some test programs in kdelibs/kjs (see the check_PROGRAMS and
extra_PROGRAMS) Makefile.am target; as well as testkjs.cpp, I've skimmed
through them, and they do seem like a good intro to basics

> with that, but I would like an example somewhere of its use (if it is in
> konqueror, that's cool).

There are 2 places I know of that use it. One is the JavaScript DOM bindings
in KHTML, they are in kdelibs/khtml/ecma (that also has the JavaScript
debugger). Another is kjsembed, in kdebindings/kjsembed

Also note that there are some API differences between the HEAD version and
the 3.1.x one; I don't know what exactly (and the degree to which Apple's
version is different).

-Maksim