List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: System Modules for Control Centre
From:       Christian Mueller <cmueller () gmx ! de>
Date:       2003-06-21 15:01:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Am Sonntag, 22. Juni 2003 16:40 schrieb Philip Scott:
> Greetings,
>
> > I was wondering what work people are doing to create Control Centre
> > modules for system administration tasks that have nothing to do with KDE
> > itself, like:
> >
> > - Start/Stop system services like cups, smb, cron etc
> > - insert/remove/list kernel modules, query/set module parameters
> > - configure ssh/telnet servers
> > - configure network devices
> > - configure scripts attached to hotplug events
> > - etc
>
> I think in principle, this is a marvellous idea, but the problem is, this
> is not nearly as simple as it sounds. Every distribution keeps its
> configuration files in a slightly different place, the boot scripts being
> the least standardised. A few distribitions do make some efforts to add
> modules like these; for example redhat includes an interface to configure
> it's ftp daemon. The kernel modules stuff could certainly work, and I think
> is a good idea - and if you can find ways of achieving the rest in a
> non-distro specific way you are brighter than me!
>
> Perhaps it is time we tried to standardise these things across the linuxes.
> (And rember, kde does not have to mean linux, so these tools would be
> redundant for a few users, albeit I assume a small minority)

You could try to handle that with distro / OS profiles that contain the
locations of those files. But you would also have to consider
distro and/or application *version numbers* because those things
tend to change from time to time.  This would require quite a few
maintenance work on top of the actual coding.

But there's something else:  The professional admins I know
tend to write/adapt their own init.d/* scripts so these new
modules should also be customisable and be able
to use the logic in the shell scripts.
BTW, they're not too fond of graphical tools anyway.
But that's a different matter ;-)

And you're absolutely correct, this is the classic area
where distro makers put their effort, so almost every distro has its
own incompatible set of config tools.  The question that'll come up
immediately is whether the KCC module plays together with those
tools (e.g. they can be used interchangeably and don't overwrite
each others' changes)

Christian.

--
Conservative, n.:
One who admires radicals centuries after they're dead.