List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: System Modules for Control Centre
From:       Philip Scott <scotty () philipscott ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2003-06-21 14:13:40

Greetings,

> I was wondering what work people are doing to create Control Centre
> modules for system administration tasks that have nothing to do with KDE
> itself, like:
>
> - Start/Stop system services like cups, smb, cron etc
> - insert/remove/list kernel modules, query/set module parameters
> - configure ssh/telnet servers
> - configure network devices
> - configure scripts attached to hotplug events
> - etc

I think in principle, this is a marvellous idea, but the problem is, this is
not nearly as simple as it sounds. Every distribution keeps its configuration
files in a slightly different place, the boot scripts being the least
standardised. A few distribitions do make some efforts to add modules like
these; for example redhat includes an interface to configure it's ftp daemon.
The kernel modules stuff could certainly work, and I think is a good idea -
and if you can find ways of achieving the rest in a non-distro specific way
you are brighter than me!

Perhaps it is time we tried to standardise these things across the linuxes.
(And rember, kde does not have to mean linux, so these tools would be
redundant for a few users, albeit I assume a small minority)

Kind Regards,
	Philip