List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Hex editor widget
From:       Reinhold Kainhofer <reinhold () kainhofer ! com>
Date:       2003-06-21 11:54:41

On Saturday 21 June 2003 11:17, you wrote:
> Am Samstag, 21. Juni 2003 00:40 schrieb Reinhold Kainhofer:
> > Is there any widget for KDE to edit arbitrary data in hexadecimal mode?
>
> Very soon, I hope :)

Cool!

> I needed one myself, found none suiting my needs, and so I am in the middle
> of writing one. Viewing is implemented (see attached screenshot, here as
> KPart in Konqueror), editing is in the works. I try to offer at least all

That looks really nice. Do you plan to add additional layout / spacing
settings? E.g. that each byte is separated from the next by a few pixel,
every four bytes a bit more, and every eight bytes as shown in your
screenshot?

> I hope that in two or three weeks (huh, never speek about a time frame when
> coding) the main work is done. Then I will offer this widget for
> integration in KDE. If you would like to have a look I can send you the
> actual code (no editing possible ATM!).

Yes, please send me the code so I can get a feeling for how to use it, and
detect any quirks it might have in "real" usage (in applications it was not
designed for. the hex edit widget from khexedit is really bad in this
respect).

> Any special needs you have for this widget? Or wishes? Or ideas? Tell me! I

Well, it would be great if it could be integrated into qt-designer, as I need
it at least three times in kpilot's dialog. But that can always be done once
the widget is ready.

Then, the widget should work well in QGridLayouts, i.e. have a minimum size
and sensitive resizing (khexedit's widget has a minimum size of 0 and so
doesn't appear if it is the only widget in a row of the layout).

I'd also like to either fix the number of bytes shown per line, give a minimum
number of bytes, or just leave that up to the widget's size.
Alternatively, if the width of the widget gets too small, the offset on the
left might be hidden, and if it gets even smaller, also the binary display on
the right. But this is nothing I explicitely need in KPilot. There I only
need an easy widget to edit a buffer and read out the value when the dialog
is done.

Oh yes, would be great if this could go into kdelibs/kdeui/, as it seems this
widget is needed by at least three applications (KPilot, kbview, and your
app. Not sure if khexedit might also switch to a KDE-wide hexedit widget, as
its own one is very specialized for its needs).

Reinhold