List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: howto sound volume control: kmix/dcop, ioctl()s, soemthing else
From:       Koos Vriezen <koos.vriezen () xs4all ! nl>
Date:       2003-06-20 20:23:00

Hi,

A few month ago, I also had this problem. Finally decided to use
Arts::StereoVolumeControl, but I'm not that happy about it because not
everybody uses arts and it doesn't control /dev/mixer.

> I want to put some simple volume control into my app.
> How should I do it ?
>
> 1. I could use dcop and kmix -> I don't have to think about sound api's :-)

If I would reimplement it again (and maybe I do so because I run esd for
running head and 3.1 simultaneously), I would use kmix.
Unfortunately it's not always running and there is also the 'KMix Applet'
that can be in the kicker or applet-proxy-xxx object..

> 2. I could open /dev/mixer and user some ioctl()'s -> portability :-(
>
> 3. I could use some lib/class/component which provides volume control ->
> does something like this exist in KDE ?

That would be nice. Please let me know if you found it..

Koos