List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Reports from Brazilian Open Software Conference 2003 (long)
From:       "Avi" <avi () alkalay ! net>
Date:       2003-06-10 6:00:35

I don't know.... All I said was what I've heard around here.
I think maybe Ximian built a lot of mind-share. Their "business" is the
desktop.
I don't know any company that has KDE as it's main strategy, even not The
Kompany (as far as I know).
I'm sure SuSE (and Conectiva with a bigger effort) can provide KDE
support, but I think this is mind-share issue....

Ximian has a plus: Evolution.
I'm not a mail-client hacker, but KMail allways missed some nice-to-have
feature: S/MIME (where is Aegypten!?!?!??), HTML editing, etc. And I was
never able to run IMAP without headaches on KMail. Also, it doesn't work
behind a socks server, which makes it useless for any IBMer. I would love
to use KMail.......

Anyway, almost everybody at IBM that runs a Linux desktop, runs KDE.
And talking to the tech folks at our Linux labs, most of them agree: KDE
is superior.

Regards,
Avi

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 17:52:39 -0400, "Patrick Julien"
<freak@codepimps.org> said:
> Have you investigated all your options?  I can't believe that Suse or
> Mandrake
> would not be willing to provide this.
>
> On June 9, 2003 03:57 pm, Aviram Alkalay wrote:
> > Helio, KDE-Developes, etc,
> > I'm a kind of KDE contributer also in Brazil. Soon CVS will receive some
> > pieces of code I'm working on.
> >
> > At a corporate level, here at IBM we are talking about a global desktop
> > support offering, but it is mostly based on Ximian (read Gnome).
> > To let us say we globally "support a Linux Desktop", we need somebody to
> > give us 3rd level support, somebody to call when a customer have a problem
> > and a commitment that there is somebody to look and fix the bug. We (or a
> > customer) can't depend on the kde-devel mailing list.
> > From this perspective, Ximian represents a corporate endpoint for it, with
> > solutions like red-carpet, etc. We can also sign a support contract with
> > them.
> >
> > I noticed there is a KDE::Enterprise initiative, but they look to me as
> > inexpressive from a corporate perspective. I mean people that can come and
> > talk in a business level with business people saying "sign this contract
> > and I'll give you support", not just developers saying "subscribe this
> > mailling list and you'll have free support from the source".
> >
> > Personaly, I prefer KDE, and I believe it is a much more integrated,
> > smooth and advanced desktop for the final user. I want KDE to be the
> > winner of the Linux desktop (or any desktop). But a corporate commitment
> > is vital.
> >
> > As an example, few day ago I reported a design problem (bug #59285)
> > regarding 100% unaccessible files when their names are non-UTF-8 encoded.
> > Many developers understood the severity but the position was "this is
> > mainly unsupported, and will fix when we'll have time". I'm not blaming
> > them, because I understand. But this is the kind of problem a company can't
> > stand without help. There is many ways to workaround this particular
> > situation, but I'm talking about the approach to the problem, and not the
> > problem per-se.
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Avi
> >

> > Avi Alkalay <avi at br.ibm.com> :: SW & IT Architect
> > LA Linux Impact Team :: IBM Brazil :: http://ibm.com/linux
> > Tel: +55 11 2132-2327 | Mobile: 9659-9059 | Tie: 842-2327
> >
> > :: Think Open : Think Linux ::
> >
> > ----- Forwarded by Aviram Alkalay/Brazil/IBM on 09/06/2003 16:24 -----
> >

> > "Avi" <avi@alkalay.net>
> > 09/06/2003 16:17